Harrow observer dating
West and Wyatt would, in a way, give birth to two companies well-known today. In 1817, a former employee, William Underwood, emigrated to America where he founded the Underwood line of products, including devilled ham (for more information on Underwood, see our entry on Devilled Ham.) Two years later, in 1819, two young apprentices working at West and Wyatt became friends -- Edmund Crosse (born in Chelsea, London, c. Harrow specialisms included photography, fashion and ceramics.Additions were made to the buildings at Northwick Park in the 1970s.Their approach turned out to be the correct one: by 1831, they had their first Royal Appointment. The company became a family owned and run one for the next one hundred years.
Following the White Paper on Technical Education in 1956 (Cmnd 9703) Harrow was designated an area college. In 1840, Crosse & Blackwell acquired a building at 21 Soho Square, London. Censuses seem to show that Crosse and his wife may have lived here at first until at least 1851.  In 1849, they opened a plant in Cork, Ireland, to produce canned salmon (in cans, as opposed to bottled, which was an innovation.) Sometime before 1850, the company bought the canning firm of Donkin, Hall and Gamble on Blue Anchor Road in Bermondsey in South London in order to make their own tins. The queue of applicants to the Parking Appeals Services adjudicator at New Zealand House in London is likely to lengthen commensurately.
Appeals from Harrow, for instance, have already soared from 546 in 1998-99 to more than 950 last year.
A new building for Harrow Technical School opened at Greenhill, in Station Road, in 1902 (extended in 19). The name was changed to Harrow Technical College and School of Art in 1948.